The Italian city of Rome reopens its previously scruffy Spanish Steps after cleaning and restoration.
The 138 marble steps link the Trinita dei Monti Church and the Piazza di Spagna and date back to the eighth century.
Billionaire demands 'barbarian' ban at Rome's iconic Spanish Steps https://t.co/xFbuseE3ne— NBC News World News (@NBCNewsWorld) September 21, 2016
The attraction was last restored about 20 years ago. This latest makeover was funded by Italian luxury goods producer Bulgari.
“The city administration has already taken long-term measures to preserve the steps to their magnificent glory,” said Rome’s mayor. “From now, we will work to prevent the kind of abuses that led to the degradation you could see before the restoration.”
The jewelery company’s billionaire chairman wants the limited access to the site at night to avoid it being trashed.
Paolo Bulgari told an Italian newspaper we cannot allow it to revert to being an open-air sewer.
LIVE on #Periscope: The famous Spanish steps in Roma. https://t.co/l2HSDbipb5— Mark Evans DM (@markevansdm) September 10, 2016