United States  

Trusted News Discovery Since 2008
One News Page
One News Page United States > In the News > Mark Esper Facts and News Updates

Mark Esper

27th United States Secretary of Defense

Mark Esper    ▸ Facts   ▸ Comments   ▸ News   ▸ Videos   

Mark Esper: 27th United States Secretary of Defense
Mark Thomas Esper is the 27th and current United States secretary of defense, and a former U.S. Army officer and defense contractor lobbyist. He previously served as acting secretary of defense and was the 23rd United States secretary of the Army from 2017 to 2019. President Donald Trump announced on June 18, 2019, that Esper would become acting secretary of defense, succeeding acting secretary Patrick Shanahan. Before Shanahan withdrew his name from consideration for the position, Esper had been considered a leading candidate for the nomination, had the Senate declined to confirm Shanahan. Esper assumed the office of acting secretary on June 24, and was confirmed as 27th secretary of defense by the United States Senate with a vote of 90–8 on July 23, 2019.

0
shares
ShareTweetSavePostSend
 

US Defense Secretary Says It's Not Time To Evacuate Crew With Coronavirus From Navy Carrier [Video]

US Defense Secretary Says It's Not Time To Evacuate Crew With Coronavirus From Navy Carrier

Defense Secretary Mark Esper said it isn’t the right moment yet for the U.S. Navy to evacuate crew members of an aircraft carrier. According to Business Insider, crew members on the carriers are..

Credit: Wochit News     Duration: 00:32Published
Despite Pleas For Help From Coronavirus Outbreak, Pentagon Won't Evacuate US Aircraft Carrier [Video]

Despite Pleas For Help From Coronavirus Outbreak, Pentagon Won't Evacuate US Aircraft Carrier

A US aircraft carrier is reeling from an outbreak of the novel coronavirus COVID-19. However, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Tuesday it was not time to evacuate the vessel. According to Reuters,..

Credit: Wochit News     Duration: 00:46Published
Prepare to shelter in place: NYC mayor [Video]

Prepare to shelter in place: NYC mayor

With the number of reported U.S. cases of the coronavirus surging past 5,200 and deaths approaching 100, millions of Americans hunkered down in their homes, as New York City Mayor Bill De Blasio told..

Credit: Reuters Studio     Duration: 02:07Published
"West is winning," U.S. tells China [Video]

"West is winning," U.S. tells China

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo defended his nation's global role despite misgivings in Europe. As Fred Katayama reports, Defense Secretary Mark Esper added that the West should not depend on China..

Credit: Reuters - Politics     Duration: 01:22Published
Mark Esper: 'Rising threat' China tops US's adversary list [Video]

Mark Esper: 'Rising threat' China tops US's adversary list

Pentagon chief's condemnation of Beijing denounced by Chinese foreign minister accusing Washington of 'smear campaign'.

Credit: Al Jazeera STUDIO     Duration: 05:04Published
U.S., Taliban reach truce that could lead to troop withdrawal [Video]

U.S., Taliban reach truce that could lead to troop withdrawal

The United States has reached an agreement with the Taliban on a week-long reduction of violence that could lead to U.S. troop withdrawal from Afghanistan, a senior administration official said on..

Credit: Reuters - Politics     Duration: 01:22Published
US and Taliban reach Afghanistan truce on sidelines of Munich security conference [Video]

US and Taliban reach Afghanistan truce on sidelines of Munich security conference

The truce came after U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defense Secretary Mark Esper met in Munich with Afghanistan's President Ashraf Ghani. View on euronews

Credit: euronews (in English)     Duration: 02:08Published
Trump shrugs off end to Philippines military pact [Video]

Trump shrugs off end to Philippines military pact

U.S. President Donald Trump brushed aside the decision of Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte to end a decades-old military agreement with United States on Wednesday, saying he didn't really mind and..

Credit: Reuters Studio     Duration: 01:39Published
Duterte End Visiting Forces Agreement With The US [Video]

Duterte End Visiting Forces Agreement With The US

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte terminated a two-decade-old Visiting Forces Agreement with the U.S. According to Reuters, they delivered on threats to downgrade an alliance important to U.S...

Credit: Wochit News     Duration: 00:32Published

You Might Like


U.S. defense chief backs Navy ouster amid report captain has coronavirus

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper defended the Navy's controversial decision to remove the commander of a coronavirus-stricken aircraft carrier, who was reported on Sunday to have tested positive for..
Reuters - Published

Secretary of Defense Mark Esper: Converted NYC convention center will be 'largest hospital in the United States'

Defense Secretary Mark Esper said more than 1,100 doctors, nurses and other medical personnel will be sent to New York City to help treat patients.
USATODAY.com - Published

U.S. Defense chief backs Navy decision to oust U.S. ship commander

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Sunday defended the U.S. Navy's controversial decision to remove the commander of a coronavirus-stricken U.S. aircraft carrier, saying it was a "tough call" but..
Reuters - Published

Defense Secretary Esper backed firing of carrier captain Crozier

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper backed the Navy's firing of the commander of a coronavirus-striken aircraft carrier, the Pentagon said on Friday, amid a backlash from Democrats in Congress as well as..
Reuters - Published

Pentagon says coronavirus outbreak on carrier doesn't warrant evacuation

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Tuesday it was not time to evacuate a U.S. aircraft carrier reeling from an outbreak of coronavirus, adding that he had not read in detail a letter from the..
Reuters - Published

Exclusive: Pentagon orders halt overseas movement for U.S. military over coronavirus

Defense Secretary Mark Esper has issued a stop movement order to the U.S. military halting travel and movement abroad for up to 60 days in an effort to limit the spread of the coronavirus through the..
Reuters - Published

U.S. military to send field hospitals to New York, Seattle

The U.S. military is preparing to deploy field hospitals to New York and Seattle, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Monday, as he acknowledged for the first time that the global coronavirus pandemic..
Reuters - Published

Pentagon to free up one million respirator masks immediately for coronavirus

The U.S. military will make available up to 5 million respirator masks and protective equipment, including 1 million immediately, from its strategic reserves for U.S. government distribution, U.S...
Reuters - Published

As coronavirus spreads, U.S. defense secretary separated from deputy

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper has started keeping himself and his staff physically separated from his deputy's team as one of the precautions to prevent the spread of the coronavirus from impacting..
Reuters - Published

Trump gives Pentagon authority for potential response after deadly Iraq attack

U.S. President Donald Trump has given the Pentagon the authority to potentially respond to Wednesday's rocket attack by Iran-backed militia in Iraq that killed two American troops and a British service..
Reuters - Published

Pentagon chief says all options on table after Iraq rocket attack

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Thursday that all options were on the table after a rocket attack in Iraq killed one British and two American troops, an attack he said was by Iranian-backed..
Reuters - Published

Pentagon to keep operating in event of coronavirus outbreak-Esper

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Thursday he expected the Pentagon to be able to keep carrying out its core functions in the event of a coronavirus outbreak at the massive military..
Reuters - Published

China defense minister discusses coronavirus with U.S.

Chinese Defense Minister Wei Fenghe discussed the coronavirus situation in China with U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Wednesday in a telephone call, China's defense ministry said.
Reuters - Published

Taliban accord hopeful moment but road ahead not easy: Pentagon chief

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Saturday that the United States would remain committed to Afghan security forces and while the signing of a historic accord between Washington and the Taliban..
Reuters - Published

Pentagon chief lands in Afghanistan ahead of U.S., Taliban deal

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper arrived in Kabul on Saturday, in a move officials and experts said was aimed at reassuring the Afghan government about the United States' commitment to the country..
Reuters - Published

Defense Secretary Esper: US has reached a deal with the Taliban to reduce deadly attacks

The deal between the U.S. and the Taliban calls for a reduction in deadly attacks that have ravaged Afghanistan.
USATODAY.com - Published

U.S.-Taliban have negotiated 'proposal' for seven day reduction in violence: Pentagon chief

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Thursday that the United States and the Taliban had negotiated a proposal for a seven-day reduction in violence.
Reuters - Published

Landmines important tool U.S. troops need: Pentagon chief

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Friday that landmines were an important tool that U.S. forces needed, as President Donald Trump's administration is expected to relax Obama-era restrictions on..
Reuters - Published

U.S. seeks Iraqi nod to bring in air defenses after Iran attack

The United States is trying to secure permission from Iraq to take Patriot missile defenses into the country to better defend U.S. forces after Iran's Jan. 8 missile attack, which wounded 50 American..
Reuters - Published

Pentagon chief defends Trump after traumatic brain injury comments

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Thursday defended President Donald Trump's response to American troops being diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries from Iran's missile strike, saying he cared..
Reuters - Published

U.S. will not completely withdraw forces from Africa: Pentagon chief

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Thursday that the United States would not be removing all its forces from Africa, as he carries out a global troop review meant to free up more resources to..
Reuters - Published

China a '21st century surveillance state,' U.S. defense chief says

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Friday that China's Communist Party had created a surveillance state that uses artificial intelligence to repress Muslim minorities and pro-democracy..
Reuters - Published

Pentagon could start global troop rebalance this year, Esper says

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper suggested on Thursday he could be ready to start a highly anticipated global force repositioning this year as part of an effort to refocus the Pentagon on challenges..
Reuters - Published

Associated Press top stories from January 12th

Here are the top stories for Sunday, January 12th: Esper says he didn't see 'hard evidence' embassy attack plans  
USATODAY.com - Published

Defense secretary Mark Esper didn't see specific evidence of Iran plot against 4 US embassies

Trump did not say there was "tangible" evidence Iran planned to attack the embassies, only that he believed it to be probable, Esper said.
USATODAY.com - Published

Pentagon chief says no specific evidence Iran was plotting to attack four U.S. embassies

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Sunday said he did not see specific evidence from intelligence officials that Iran was planning to attack four U.S. embassies, an assertion made by President Donald..
Reuters - Published

Esper Says He ‘Didn’t See’ Specific Evidence Iranians Planned to Attack 4 Embassies

President Trump had claimed that a planned attack on four American embassies was a justification for the strike on an Iranian general.
NYTimes.com - Published

Trump aides to brief Congress on Iran as Tehran retaliates over killing of Gen. Qasem Soleimani

Pompeo, Esper, Milley and Haspel are expected to face questions about the administration's assertion that Soleimani was planning imminent attacks.
USATODAY.com - Published

Pompeo, Esper arrive at White House after Iran attack on Iraqi base

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defense Secretary Mark Esper arrived at the White House late on Tuesday after Iran fired missiles on at least two Iraqi air bases hosting U.S.-led coalition..
Reuters - Published

U.S. should expect Iran to retaliate, defense secretary says

The United States should expect Iran to retaliate over the U.S. killing of Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Tuesday, as a top Tehran general vowed a..
Reuters - Published

U.S. should expect some form of Iranian retaliation: Pentagon

The United States should expect that Iran will retaliate over the U.S. killing of Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Tuesday.
Reuters - Published

No Iraqi request to withdraw U.S. forces, Pentagon says

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Tuesday he hadn't received a request from Iraq to withdraw U.S. troops from the country and noted that an Iraqi parliamentary resolution requesting a pullout..
Reuters - Published

Iranian commander was planning attack within days: Esper

U.S. Secretary of Defense Mark Esper said on Tuesday it was "more than fair to say" the attack that Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani was planning was to be executed in days rather than..
Reuters - Published

U.S. ready to finish any war started with Iran: Defense Secretary

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Tuesday the United States wants to de-escalate tensions with Iran, but the country is ready to finish any war that could be started.
Reuters - Published

Saudi deputy defense minister met Esper, discussed ongoing military cooperation: tweet

Saudi Arabia's Deputy Defense Minister Prince Khalid bin Salman, said in a tweet on Tuesday he met U.S. Secretary of defense Mark Esper and discussed mutual challenges faced by both countries.
Reuters - Published

Pentagon chief denies U.S. is leaving Iraq; slain commander mourned by Tehran throngs

The United States has no plans to pull its troops out of Iraq, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Monday, following reports by Reuters and other media of an American military letter informing Iraqi..
Reuters - Published

Pentagon says will not break law of war, despite Trump threat

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper strongly suggested on Monday that the U.S. military would not violate the laws of armed conflict by striking Iranian cultural sites, a move threatened by President..
Reuters - Published

Pentagon chief denies U.S. leaving Iraq; Tehran crowds mourn commander

The United States has no plans to pull American troops out of Iraq, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Monday, following reports by Reuters and other media of a U.S. military letter informing Iraq..
Reuters - Published

Bahrain Crown Prince speaks with U.S. Defense Secretary: BNA

Bahrain's Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa discussed by phone on Monday with U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper the importance of maintaining regional security and stability, state news agency..
Reuters - Published

U.S. defense secretary cancels vacation amid Iran crisis

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper has canceled plans to take personal leave later in January amid rising tension with Iran, U.S. officials told Reuters on Friday.
Reuters - Published

U.S. sees signs Iran or proxies may be planning more attacks: Pentagon chief

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Thursday there were indications Iran or forces it backs may be planning additional attacks, warning that the "game has changed" and it was possible the United..
Reuters - Published

Esper warns Iran will be met with severe response

Iran or its proxy forces may be planning further strikes on American interests in the Middle East, and the U.S. is prepared to take preemptive military action if it gets sufficient warning, Defense..
USATODAY.com - Published

Indications Iran, forces it backs may be planning attacks: Esper

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Thursday that there were indications that Iran or the forces that it backs may be planning additional attacks.
Reuters - Published

U.S. defense secretary urges North Korea to negotiate on denuclearization

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Thursday said the United States still sees a political agreement on denuclearization as the best path forward on North Korea, but that American forces remained..
Reuters - Published

U.S. deploying 750 soldiers after protest at U.S. Embassy in Iraq: Pentagon chief

The United States is immediately deploying about 750 soldiers to the Middle East in response to the violent protests at the U.S. Embassy in Iraq, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Tuesday.
Reuters - Published

Additional forces being sent to U.S. embassy in Baghdad: Pentagon chief

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Tuesday that the United States was sending additional forces to its embassy in Baghdad, and called on the Iraqi government to help protect American personnel.
Reuters - Published

Pentagon chief hopeful for restarting diplomacy with North Korea, but stands ready

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Friday that he remains hopeful the United States can restart diplomacy with North Korea, as the clock ticks down to North Korea's declared year-end deadline..
Reuters - Published




 Page 1  〉 
Environmentally friendly: One News Page is hosted on servers powered solely by renewable energy
© 2020 One News Page Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
About us  |  Contact us  |  Disclaimer  |  Press Room  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Content Accreditation
 RSS  |  News for my Website  |  Free news search widget  |  In the News  |  DMCA / Content Removal  |  Privacy & Data Protection Policy
How are we doing? FeedbackSend us your feedback  |   LIKE us on Facebook   FOLLOW us on Twitter  •  FOLLOW us on Pinterest
One News® is a registered trademark of One News Page Ltd.