United States  

Celebrating 10 Years of Trusted News Discovery
One News Page
> >

Uganda confirms first Ebola case outside outbreak in Congo

SeattlePI.com Tuesday, 11 June 2019
KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) — A child in Uganda has tested positive for Ebola in what is the first cross-border case of the deadly virus since an outbreak started in neighboring Congo last year, Uganda's health ministry said late Tuesday, in a blow to efforts by health workers who for months sought to prevent contamination across the heavily traveled border.

The patient, a 5-year-old Congolese boy, has been isolated at a hospital in a district near the Congo border, Ugandan Health Minister Jane Aceng told reporters.

The announcement puts new pressure on the World Health Organization to declare the Ebola outbreak — the second-deadliest in history — a global health emergency.

In April a WHO expert committee decided that the outbreak, while of "deep concern," was not yet a global health emergency.

International spread of a disease as contagious as Ebola is one of the major criteria WHO considers before declaring a situation to be a global health emergency.

The Congolese boy crossed into Uganda on June 9 with his family through the Bwera border post, WHO said in a statement. He sought treatment at Kagando hospital and was transferred to Bwera Ebola treatment unit, WHO said.

Confirmation of Ebola was made on Tuesday by the Uganda Virus Institute. "The ministry of health and WHO have dispatched a rapid response team to Kasese to identify other people who may be at risk," WHO said.

There have been more than 2,000 confirmed and probable cases of the Ebola virus in Congo since August, with nearly 1,400 deaths.

The disease is spread mainly through contact with the bodily fluids of those infected. For the first time an experimental but effective Ebola vaccine is being widely used, and Uganda has vaccinated nearly 4,700 health workers, WHO said.

Uganda has had multiple outbreaks...
0
shares
ShareTweetSavePostSend
 
Credit: Wochit News - Published < > Embed
News video: Ebola Outbreak Enters 'Frightening Phase' As It Claims Five Year Old Boy

Ebola Outbreak Enters 'Frightening Phase' As It Claims Five Year Old Boy 00:43

The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo made the long-feared jump across borders with three cases confirmed Wednesday in Uganda. A 5-year-old Congolese boy who had the virus died while in Uganda, CNN reports. The World Health Organization and Ugandan health authorities said the boy had...

Recent related videos from verified sources

New drugs provide 'hope' in the Ebola fight [Video]New drugs provide 'hope' in the Ebola fight

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told Reuters that two experimental drugs were 'significantly' lowering the number of deaths from the Ebola...

Credit: Reuters Studio     Duration: 01:57Published

Ebola treatment trial shows promise in Congo [Video]Ebola treatment trial shows promise in Congo

Scientists are a step closer to finding the first effective treatments for the deadly Ebola hemorrhagic fever after two potential drugs showed encouraging survival results in a clinical trial in the..

Credit: Reuters Studio     Duration: 01:09Published

You Might Like

Environmentally friendly: One News Page is hosted on servers powered solely by renewable energy
© 2019 One News Page Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
About us  |  Contact us  |  Disclaimer  |  Press Room  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Content Accreditation
 RSS  |  News for my Website  |  Free news search widget  |  In the News  |  DMCA / Content Removal  |  Privacy & Data Protection Policy
How are we doing? FeedbackSend us your feedback  |   LIKE us on Facebook   FOLLOW us on Twitter  •  FOLLOW us on Pinterest
One News® is a registered trademark of One News Page Ltd.