Early Addition: Do You Know What A Porcupine Sounds Like?
Monday, 15 July 2019 · Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
· Donald Trump threatened four women of color in Congress—Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib, Ayanna Pressley, and Ilhan Omar—on Twitter, telling them to "go back" to "the totally broken and crime-infested places from which they came." Three quarters of these women were born in the U.S., so you might call it a self-own. Many people are also calling it racist.
· An apparently intoxicated woman was arrested on the Jersey Shore after leading police officers on a high-speed chase, then biting one on the leg as he tried to take her into custody.
· Two male academics went on NPR to discuss a book written by historian Sarah Milov, pulling extensively from her work without ever mentioning her name, or the book. It's The Cigarette: A Political History, thank you for your time.
· Britain will make Alan Turing—a mathematician and "the father of computer science," who was chemically castrated in the 1950s because he was gay—the face of its new £50 note.
· Good news for those of you commuting through famed local hellmouth, Port Authority, today: The bus terminal's air conditioning has been restored following Saturday's power outages.
· Would you let a bee sting interrupt your Hollywood Bowl concert, or would you keep singing as you ripped the stinger from your foot, live onstage?
· A baby in Missouri was born at 7:11 p.m. on July 11th (7/11), weighing 7 pounds and 11 ounces, which really feels a little heavy-handed of 7-Eleven, unless the convenience store chain is run by witches and they are doing a spell.
· Sound all the way up on this vid, it's non-negotiable:
I don't know what I expected a porcupine to sound like but it wasn't this - I am extremely pleased, however, and would die for this creature. s/o @curlybeach for blessing my life with this information pic.twitter.com/bclDatweVh— watch out, it’s pepis man (@kxthleen) July 11, 2019
A family have been left temporarily homeless after their property COLLAPSED while builders were working on the house next door. Emergency services were called to Claremont Road in Rugby, Warks., after..