· *The Job Creators Network, a conservative business group, erected a billboard in Times Square blaming New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for Amazon's termination of a deal to build its second.. Business Insider - Published
The United States will get a new, much-needed polar icebreaker, as part of legislation that Congress passed to ward off a second government shutdown.
The U.S. is down to just one operational.. SeattlePI.com - Published
"After we receive the data on Valentine's Day from the US Census Bureau suggesting that at least retail and e-commerce had slowed a good deal, had certainly fallen below estimates which we're expecting..
Eager to avoid another government shutdown, congressional negotiators have reached a tentative agreement that will finance new barriers along the US-Mexico border – though with less fencing than.. Christian Science Monitor - Published
Palm Beach County mid-market condo sales increased double digits in January as median prices rose for all properties, according to the MIAMI Association of Realtors (MIAMI) and the Multiple Listing.. PRWeb - Published
· Freight forwarder Flexport is now valued at $3.2 billion.
· That's after a $1 billion investment round led by the SoftBank Vision Fund.
· Founded in 2013, Flexport is already the 11th-largest.. Business Insider - Published
While President Donald Trump ended the partial government shutdown, its economic cost hit $6 billion as of Jan. 25, according to estimates by S&P Global Ratings. That's $300 million more than.. USATODAY.com - Published
Data released today showed that in the US total home sales fell 1.2% in January. Analysts at Wells Fargo explain data points to an extension of the trend of weak home buying activity, but they see that.. FXstreet.com - Published
Tax preparation is rarely easy, but this filing season comes with a unique set of complications. It's the first year people are filing under the massive overhaul to tax law put in place by Congress in.. SeattlePI.com - Published
Here is what you need to know.
1. *The Fed admits it contributed to the stock market's wild ride in December. *"A variety of factors—including FOMC communications, weaker-than-expected data,.. Business Insider - Published
*US durable goods orders overview*
Thursday's US economic docket highlights the release of durable goods orders data for the month of December - delayed due to the US government shutdown. The US.. FXstreet.com - Published
· The stock market's torrid rally since its December meltdown has given investors the mistaken impression that the worst is over, says Societe Generale.
· The firm says elevated volatility.. Business Insider - Published
· *Fitch, one of the "Big Three" ratings agencies, has warned that the looming spectre of a no deal Brexit puts the UK at risk of a first credit rating cut from the agency in over five.. Business Insider - Published
By softening her approach to funding a border wall, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi has demonstrated that she is willing and able to both rein in her party's more liberal members and compromise with.. Christian Science Monitor - Published
___ Minutes show Fed officials noted number of rising threats WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal Reserve policymakers last month noted a number of increased threats to the U.S. economy, ranging from adverse.. SeattlePI.com - Published
· *December's FOMC communications were seen as contributing to a turbulent month in financial markets.*
· *Stocks had posted their worst December since the Great Depression. *
· *Market sentiment.. Business Insider - Published
WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal Reserve policymakers last month noted greater threats to the U.S. economy, ranging from adverse effects of the government shutdown to rising trade tensions, and opted to.. SeattlePI.com - Published Also reported by •Seattle Times
· On February 11, the US national debt eclipsed $22 trillion for the first time.
· Since President Donald Trump took office, the US has added over $2 trillion in new federal debt.
· See how.. Business Insider - Published
Southwest Airlines Co. added a $60 million hit from the recent U.S. government shutdown to its list of headaches on Wednesday as it investigated whether a conflict with its mechanics union was adding.. Newsmax - Published
· *Southwest Airlines on Wednesday blasted its mechanics union for hundreds of cancellations. *
· *The union hit back, accusing the carrier of scapegoating.*
· *Also on Wednesday, Southwest said.. Business Insider - Published
After delays due to anti-competitive concerns and the U.S. government shutdown, a $2 billion acquisition of Lawrence-based NxStage Medical Inc. by Germany-based Fresenius Medical Care has been.. bizjournals - Published
· *Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche expects the Mercedes-Benz EQC electric SUV to be sold out in 2019 and likely in 2020, Electrek reports, citing the German publication Welt.*
· *"We are sure that.. Business Insider - Published
Authorities say a Texas couple tried to smuggle nearly 70 pounds of marijuana in suitcases through Bush International Airport during the government shutdown, according to new report. FOXNews.com - Published
Could Alec Baldwin’s latest “Saturday Night Live” skit mocking President Trump actually put him and his family in danger? That’s what the actor wants to know, at least.
“I wonder if a.. The Wrap - Published
According to David Goodman, head of macro strategy at Westpac, global growth momentum has clearly swung to the downside to begin 2019, with Central banks responding to heightened global risks whilst.. FXstreet.com - Published
Consumers, businesses, and investors loathe uncertainty. That's why the full effects of a government shutdown are hard to measure, and its end isn’t like turning a light switch back on. Christian Science Monitor - Published
· *The USD/JPY remains around 110.50 before the Asian markets start on Monday.*
· *Welcome developments during the US-China trade talks and a Fed official’s comment indicating no rate-hike in 2019.. FXstreet.com - Published
Another weekend, another angry tweet from Donald Trump over “Saturday Night Live.”
After Alec Baldwin returned to the NBC show to lampoon Trump’s national emergency declaration to build a wall.. The Wrap - Published
Alec Baldwin didn’t show up on “SNL” much to deliver his Donald Trump impression all that often in the early part of the season, but he’s been popping up with more regularity of late. And on.. The Wrap - Published
Compelling people to work without pay is fast becoming more than a legal issue for the federal government. Viewed as a social compact, it raises serious ethical questions, too. Christian Science Monitor - Published
President Trump says he expects a legal battle after declaring a national emergency to access money for his proposed border wall. Mr. Trump signed a spending package to avert another government.. CBS News - Published
President Trump has declared a national emergency to get more federal money for his long-promised border wall. The president announced his plan to use billions from military construction and.. CBS News - Published
by Alice Monroe -
The ongoing political fracas between Donald Trump and Congress with regard to the funding of his proposed border wall with the US and Mexico appears to have been knocked up a gear,.. One News Page Staff - Published
President Trump's State of the Union speech sought to shore up Republican support that had eroded slightly during the recent government shutdown. The Feb. 15 deadline to fund the government and avoid.. Christian Science Monitor - Published