As we get set for a new trading week, albeit with the US out on holiday in honour of Martin Luther King Jr. Day., there are a few noteworthy headlines in the weekend press including, *U.S. government.. FXstreet.com - Published
The UK government released its analysis of Brexit scenarios this Wednesday and here are some of the key highlights:
• May's Brexit plan reduces GDP by 2.1% to 3.9% in 15 years time. • .. FXstreet.com - Published
British Prime Minister Theresa May is refusing to give up on gaining the support of parliament. The BBC reports she is currently looking in to how to make good on the promises she made to the people of..
According to Business Insider, Theresa May has revealed her alternative Brexit plan after MPs last week voted overwhelmingly to reject her deal with the EU. The prime minister said she had listened to..
The (Telegraph is out with some leaks on what to expect from the UK Treasury's Brexit forecasts that will be released on Wednesday morning (UK Time).
The Treasury will show the forecasts for the UK.. FXstreet.com - Published
Analysts at ING suggest that not enough risk premium is priced in GBP until there is some clarity on a leadership challenge and there is a risk that we end up with a more Brexit-leaning leader.
*Key.. FXstreet.com - Published
by Simon Baxendale -
British Prime Minister Theresa May asserts her Cabinet has backed her draft plan for Brexit - but could a vote of no confidence be in the cards? With all the back-and-forth that.. One News Page Staff - Published
"The MPC kept monetary policy on hold, in a unanimous decision that was widely expected," notes Bill Diviney, Senior Economist at ABN AMRO.
"The Quarterly Inflation Report had a.. FXstreet.com - Published
Bank of England Governor Mark Carney is now responding to questions from the press with key quotes, via Reuters, found below.
· PM May's Chequers plan would be better than BoE's average forecast.. FXstreet.com - Published
by Simon Baxendale -
Yes – it’s time to head back to Brexit again, as the UK’s imminent divorce from the European Union continues to grow into the ever-complicated, headline-grabbing.. One News Page Staff - Published
· *Politicians have uncovered evidence of a dark advertising campaign on Facebook, in which Brits were encouraged to lobby against Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit plan.*
· *The Digital,.. Business Insider - Published
Analysts at Deutsche Bank notes that on Brexit, German Chancellor Merkel said that “the opportunity to conclude a good, sustainable agreement in a timely fashion remains” while adding Germany.. FXstreet.com - Published
Not practical or sensible to set out how the government will analyze final Brexit deal before it is reached, the UK PM Theresa May was quoted saying this Wednesday.
She further added that Britain.. FXstreet.com - Published
· *While the pound today was recovering to close the Asian opening gap following negative N.Ireland border/backstop Brexit headlines from Friday and weekend news, GBP/USD has been rejected at.. FXstreet.com - Published
Northern Ireland’s Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) deputy leader Nigel Dodds, speaking to BBC Radio this Monday, was noted saying:
• Does not want to see the UK PM May leave office. • .. FXstreet.com - Published
LONDON (AP) — Britain’s former Brexit secretary is urging members of Prime Minister Theresa May’s cabinet to rebel against her proposed deal with the European Union over the terms of Britain’s.. Seattle Times - Published
Additional remarks from the EU's chief Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier, is now crossing the wires with key quotes, via Reuters, found below.
· Deal is within reach by Wednesday.. FXstreet.com - Published
· *Sterling bidders remain in control heading into the London market session, fueled by Brexit hope.*
· *A UK GDP reading is slated for the London morning, and contracting growth numbers bode poorly.. FXstreet.com - Published
* • A goodish pickup in the USD demand triggers the initial leg of the retracement slide. • Conservative MP Steve Baker’s comments exert additional downward pressure. • Investors.. FXstreet.com - Published
Steve Baker, Conservative MP for Wycombe and a former junior Brexit minister, speaking on BBC Radio 4 this Tuesday, said that his Conservative colleagues are prepared to vote against Chequers.. FXstreet.com - Published
· *The Sterling is bumping higher on improving Brexit headlines.*
· *Monday sees constrained market volumes, especially in the early session.*
The GBP/JPY is trading into 149.50 at the week's.. FXstreet.com - Published
As reported by Bloomberg, the European Union's Brexit negotiation team is set to hand UK Prime Minister Theresa May the outline of a potential trade deal, but the free-trade agreement may fall well.. FXstreet.com - Published
· *Another US NFP Friday sees thin markets and constrained liquidity ahead of the key reading.*
· *Brexit hangs like a cloud over Pound traders, with little promise of answers to come in the.. FXstreet.com - Published
Analysts at TD Securities point out that UK’s Prime Minister Theresa May takes the stage for her headline Conservative Party Conference speech at 6:45 ET and will be the key event for today’s.. FXstreet.com - Published
As reported by Reuters, UK Prime Minister Theresa May is thumbing her nose at her critics, attempting to cool public opinion, assuring whoever will listen that Brexit is an opportunity that is full of.. FXstreet.com - Published
Comments from British Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab is now crossing the wires with key quotes, via Reuters, found below.
· No such thing as pure independence.
· We want democratic control over.. FXstreet.com - Published
Adding to her earlier comments, the UK PM Theresa May was further noted saying that the best way of dealing with Irish border is through deal based on Chequers proposals.
.. FXstreet.com - Published
Livesquawk reports comments from the UK PM Theresa May, citing that she wants to hear about the European Union (EU) concerns about the Chequers proposals
Working for a good.. FXstreet.com - Published
As noted by Reuters, Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has accused UK Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit plans of being unviable, destructive, and akin to vandalism early Tuesday in response.. FXstreet.com - Published
· *GBP/USD has nose-dived and keeps bleeding whereby the DXY is taking up its leadership role on the currency board in style, rallying from a firm base at 95 the figure and as high as 95.37, matching.. FXstreet.com - Published
Additional remarks from British Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab continue to cross the wires.
*Key quotes (via Reuters)*
· There are different levels of support for Chequers, but we will negotiate.. FXstreet.com - Published
According to Reuters, when asked if the Chequers deal was dead, British Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab said that they were still in a negotiation and stated that an extension to Article 50 was not on.. FXstreet.com - Published
· *Sterling sees bearish tendencies as Brexit headlines weigh.*
· *Thin data for the early week sees market sentiment troubled.*
The GBP/USD is trading near 1.3030 to kick off the new trading.. FXstreet.com - Published
· *The week ahead looks cloudy for the GBP as Brexit headlines continue to disappoint.*
· *A thin Asia market session sees the Guppy kick Monday off with UK data.*
The GBP/JPY is still stuck in.. FXstreet.com - Published
According to reporting by the London Sunday Times, UK Prime Minister Theresa May is facing dwindling cabinet support for her strategy to revert to a no-deal Brexit should the European Union continue.. FXstreet.com - Published
Former U.K. Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson questioned whether Prime Minister Theresa May believes in Brexit and called her Chequers plan 'deranged,' the Sunday Times reported, citing an interview.He.. Newsmax - Published
"PM May is facing the risk of a leadership challenge and the Conservative Party Congress from 30 September to 3 October is an important milestone for that," Rabobank analysts note.
*Key.. FXstreet.com - Published
According to Tim Riddell, Research Analyst at Westpac, UK political polls are likely to swing relatively wildly as opinion gyrates after this week’s Labour and then next week’s Conservative annual.. FXstreet.com - Published
British foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt recently crossed the wires saying that he does not agree with the view that Prime Minister May's Chequers plan is dead.
*Key quotes (via Reuters)*
·.. FXstreet.com - Published
Good morning! Here is what you need to know on Thursday.
*1. **Asian shares held firm on Thursday, outperforming sagging Wall Street shares, and US bond yields fell after the Federal Reserve raised.. Business Insider - Published
Brexit tensions will be back on the rise this week after a brief reprieve, with the UK's Prime Minister Theresa May signaling that the current middle-ground offer being pushed by the European Union is.. FXstreet.com - Published
Citing an internal EU document, Reuters' Gabriela Baczynska recently reported that EU negotiators were ready to offer British Prime Minister Theresa May a free-trade area after Brexit and added:.. FXstreet.com - Published
British Prime Minister Theresa May is now out on the wires delivering her later latest remarks on Brexit negotiations.
*Key quotes (via Reuters)*
· No Bbrexit deal is still better than a bad.. FXstreet.com - Published
Analysts at Rabobank suggest that making assumptions regarding Brexit seems to be difficult as until the disastrous EU summit in Salzburg the market assumed that the UK was making a good progress in.. FXstreet.com - Published
British Brexit Secretary is briefing the press following the cabinet meeting on Brexit with key quotes, via Reuters, found below.
· We had a healthy discussion in cabinet on Brexit.
· We are.. FXstreet.com - Published
According to IMM net speculators’ positioning as at September 18, 2018, USD net long positions increased to a new year-to-date high of 37,456 in the week ending September 18, notes the research team.. FXstreet.com - Published
Analysts at Rabobank point out that following a disastrous summit last week in Salzburg, when her Chequers deal was firmly rejected by European leaders, UK Prime Minister May convened her cabinet.. FXstreet.com - Published
The UK PM Theresa May’s spokesman James Slack is reported, as saying that the UK Cabinet will meet later today at 1300 GMT.
Theresa May has been clear on the need to.. FXstreet.com - Published
The UK Finance Ministry Spokesman John McDonnell told Sky News on Monday, the Kingdom’s opposition Labour Party is likely to keep the option for a second referendum on any final Brexit deal on the.. FXstreet.com - Published
The Telegraph carried a story on Monday, citing that a majority of the UK PM Theresa May's Cabinet now supports the UK moving towards a Canada-style Brexit deal.
Last week, the European Union (EU).. FXstreet.com - Published
· *A quiet Monday sees Brexit headlines take front and center for the early week.*
· *A snap election in the UK could be incoming as PM May looks to shore up her political base.*
The Guppy saw a.. FXstreet.com - Published