Mars' surface is a lifeless, unwelcoming desert. But beneath its red soil the planet still might be alive — geologically.
Big space news broke in 2018: Using a ground-penetrating radar aboard a.. Mashable - Published
Good morning! This is the tech news you need to know this Thursday.
1. *Apple CEO Tim Cook promised to investigate the Saudi app branded "abhorrent" by a US senator for allowing men to track women.*.. Business Insider - Published
After no sign of life from the robotic explorer since June 2018, NASA has called it a day on Opportunity's Martian mission. Intended to last only three months, the Mars Opportunity Rover provided data..
Credit: HuffPost UK STUDIO Duration: 00:37Published
Hennessy, the world’s best-selling Cognac, is proud to release an epic short film by legendary director Ridley Scott, who visualizes the odyssey experienced in every sip of Hennessy X.O. The campaign..
According to a report by Geek.com, on Thursday, the European Space Agency announced that its Mars Express satellite recently captured a photo of a mile-deep ice crater on the surface of Mars. The area,..
A mighty dust storm swirled around the Opportunity rover on June 10, 2018, forcing the robot to shut itself off and conserve power. The dust blocked out nearly all the sunlight, turning day to.. Mashable - Published
· *NASA's Opportunity rover is officially dead and the mission is over, the agency said Wednesday.*
· *The rover stopped communicating in June 2018 during a brutal Martian dust storm, but NASA.. Business Insider - Published
The Opportunity rover is dead, at age 15.
After spending over 5,000 Martian days rumbling through the inhospitable red desert planet, NASA acknowledged on Wednesday that its sun-powered.. Mashable - Published
It's a dark, sad day for space fans the world over.
NASA is preparing to officially say goodbye to the Mars Opportunity rover, one of its greatest achievements, who's watch has apparently come to an.. Mashable - Published
· *NASA's Opportunity rover hasn't phoned home in the months after a global dust storm tore across Mars.*
· *Officials at NASA are expected to announce the Martian robot's presumed death on.. Business Insider - Published
Bankrupt Martian colony startup Mars One says it's holding talks with an undisclosed investor to revive its for-profit arm. In a press release, the German company claims to have found a potential.. engadget - Published
Sony/TriStar have won a bidding war for the rights to “Last Human,” a live-action science fiction film from Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, an individual with knowledge of the deal told.. The Wrap - Published
The South by Southwest Conference and Festivals has announced the remainder of its 2019 SXSW festival lineup, which will include Paramount Pictures’ “Pet Sematary” as its closing night.. The Wrap - Published
· Elon Musk posted videos of SpaceX test-firing its new Raptor rocket engine for the first time.
· The engine is a crucial part of the Starship launch system, which SpaceX hopes will rocket humans.. Business Insider - Published
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — Two tiny satellites have fallen silent millions of miles away, after proving new technology at Mars. The twin CubeSats, nicknamed WALL-E and EVE, shadowed NASA's InSight.. SeattlePI.com - Published Also reported by •Seattle Times
Atmosphere-driven survival sagas have been on something of a roll lately, what with the new cinematic physicality that has turned the vastness of space (“Gravity”), another planet (“The.. The Wrap - Published
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — NASA's Opportunity rover is silently marking the 15th anniversary of its touchdown on Mars. The spacecraft hasn't been heard from since a global dust storm last June. The.. SeattlePI.com - Published
Apple has inked a deal for a 10 episode season for an as-of-yet untitled science fiction series from Simon Kinberg and David Weil, reports Deadline.
Simon Kinberg is known primarily for his work on.. MacRumours.com - Published
· China recently landed the first spacecraft on the far side of the moon and plans to launch a lunar sample-return mission at the end of the year.
· The China National Space Administration is also.. Business Insider - Published
The first human colonists on Mars will have to forgo many of the creature comforts of Earth — things like enjoying an ozone layer , for example, or opting out of rearing genetically engineered.. FOXNews.com - Published
NEW YORK (AP) — Dramatic period pieces will vie for the top comedy-musical awards and song-stuffed movies are poised to dominate the dramatic categories. Welcome to the 76th annual Golden Globes... Seattle Times - Published
by Stephanie Boyd -
While the odds of getting a white Christmas in certain areas of the world are fairly remote, there are of course locations which are likely to see snowfall all year round. For.. One News Page Staff - Published
· Elon Musk said SpaceX is building a "test hopper" vehicle in Texas that could launch by March or April.
· The vehicle is a squat version of a full-scale Starship spaceship — one that's being.. Business Insider - Published
A winter wonderland sits in the middle of a sandy Martian surface — at least, that's the story new images released by the European Space Agency (ESA) from the Red Planet seem to tell. FOXNews.com - Published
Stephen Petranek says, in the next decade, we will send humans to colonize Mars. He lays out the technology--from water-extraction to bricks made of Martian soil--that'll make life possible there. NPR - Published
Flying over the frigid northern reaches of Mars, the orbiting Mars Express satellite captured images of the 50-mile wide Korolev crater filled with ice.
Korolev is an especially alluring sight, not.. Mashable - Published
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — NASA's new Mars lander has placed a quake monitor on the planet's dusty red surface. The milestone occurred less than a month after Mars InSight's touchdown. InSight's.. SeattlePI.com - Published
NASA's InSight lander has taken its first selfie on Mars.
The selfie, released on Tuesday and shown above, is made up of 11 images that were stitched together. The resulting photo shows InSight's.. Business Insider - Published
Cold winds constantly blow across the wide Martian plains of Elysium Planitia, and NASA unexpectedly recorded the sound of these extraterrestrial gusts.
Although NASA sent the InSight lander to.. Mashable - Published
· *NASA's newest Mars mission, called InSight, landed on the red planet November 26.*
· *Two instruments on the robot recently recorded the sounds of blowing winds and "felt" tornado-like dust.. Business Insider - Published
The InSight Mars lander accomplished a perfect landing last week on the Elysium Planitia region of the planet, where it is hard at work preparing to drill into the surface (and taking selfies, of.. TechCrunch - Published
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — As Mars' newest resident settles in, Planet Earth is working on three more landers and at least two orbiters to join the scientific Martian brigade. NASA's InSight.. SeattlePI.com - Published Also reported by •Seattle Times
Now that the Insight lander has settled in on Mars, scientists are learning more about the spot it's in. With its 7-foot-wide solar panels fully deployed, it has already set a record for the most.. engadget - Published
· *Insight Lander successfully touched down on Mars yesterday and it's the largest drill NASA has ever sent to space. *
· *The $850 million drill is designed to study the interior structure of.. Business Insider - Published
by Alice Monroe -
Following NASA's Insight lander touching down on the Red Planet Monday, the space agency has confirmed the next Martian landing site for its forthcoming rover mission.NASA's Insight.. One News Page Staff - Published
Last night’s 10 minutes of terror as the InSight Mars Lander descended to the Martian surface at 12,300 MPH were a nail-biter for sure, but now the robotic science platform is safe and sound — and.. TechCrunch - Published Also reported by •CrunchGear
After quite the journey, NASA's InSight has landed on Mars. But what's a trip without a happy snap?
While we savoured a dusty photo beamed back to Earth shortly after its landing, the spacecraft has.. Mashable - Published