United States  

Celebrating 10 Years of Trusted News Discovery
One News Page
> >

Pope Defrocks Former Cardinal McCarrick for Sexual Abuse

Video Credit: Newsy Studio - Duration: 01:29s - Published < > Embed
Pope Defrocks Former Cardinal McCarrick for Sexual Abuse

Pope Defrocks Former Cardinal McCarrick for Sexual Abuse

Pope Francis defrocked former Cardinal Theodore McCarrick after numerous sexual abuse allegations.

0
shares
ShareTweetSavePostSend
 

Pope Defrocks Former Cardinal McCarrick for Sexual Abuse

Pope Francis defrocked ex-Cardinal Theodore McCarrick on Friday.

As Newsy has previously reported, McCarrick was removed from public ministry last year  after an investigation  found credible allegations he had sexually abused a teenager decades ago when he was a priest in New York.  After the allegations were made public, more men came forward with accusations of sexual misconduct.  One man told The New York Times  that McCarrick started sexually abusing him when he was 11 and the abusive relationship lasted almost 20 years.

The Times also revealed that the church had known about some allegations for years, but secretly paid settlements to the accusers.  A Vatican statement said the decision is final.

The Pope's dismissal means 88-year old McCarrick is no longer a priest and the church won't provide for him.  Catholic News Agency  says McCarrick reportedly never drew a salary from the three dioceses he led anyway, and that he has "a private income from savings and monthly annuities." It isn't uncommon for a priest to be dismissed on sexual abuse claims, but this sets a precedent for disciplining bishops.

A professor specializing in Catholic law told The New York Times, “Bishops and former cardinals are no longer immune to punishment.

The reverence that was shown in the past to bishops no longer applies.”  The decision comes a week before top Catholic officials will meet about the ongoing sexual abuse accusations in the Catholic church.

The Pope called the meeting last September, and was criticized by sexual abuse survivors for choosing a date five months in the future rather than sooner.




You Might Like


Recent related videos from verified sources

Man Who Says He Was Abused By Fr. Smyth Comes Forward [Video]Man Who Says He Was Abused By Fr. Smyth Comes Forward

Clarence George Jr. is coming out of the shadows as he alleges sexual abuse by late Maryville Academy head the Rev. John Smyth. CBS 2's Chris Tye reports.

Credit: CBS 2 Chicago     Duration: 02:27Published

Clarence George, Alleged Victim, Speaks Out About Claims Of Sexual Abuse By Rev. John Smyth [Video]Clarence George, Alleged Victim, Speaks Out About Claims Of Sexual Abuse By Rev. John Smyth

The victim at the center of the first lawsuit involving the Rev. John Smyth spoke out this week. Clarence E. George Jr. claimed Smyth, the revered priest in charge of Maryville Academy in Des Plaines,..

Credit: CBS 2 Chicago     Duration: 02:45Published

Environmentally friendly: One News Page is hosted on servers powered solely by renewable energy
© 2019 One News Page Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
About us  |  Contact us  |  Disclaimer  |  Press Room  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Content Accreditation
 RSS  |  News for my Website  |  Free news search widget  |  In the News  |  DMCA / Content Removal  |  Privacy & Data Protection Policy
How are we doing? FeedbackSend us your feedback  |   LIKE us on Facebook   FOLLOW us on Twitter  •  FOLLOW us on Pinterest
One News® is a registered trademark of One News Page Ltd.