United States  

Celebrating 10 Years of Trusted News Discovery
One News Page
> > >

US to Let Americans Sue Companies Doing Business in Cuba

Video Credit: Newsy Studio - Duration: 01:48s - Published < > Embed
US to Let Americans Sue Companies Doing Business in Cuba

US to Let Americans Sue Companies Doing Business in Cuba

Americans who had property confiscated by Cuba after the 1959 revolution will soon be allowed to sue.

0
shares
ShareTweetSavePostSend
 

US to Let Americans Sue Companies Doing Business in Cuba

The Trump administration has announced it will allow U.S. citizens to sue foreign companies doing business in Cuba.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo  said Wednesday  the administration will begin enforcing a long-suspended provision of the Helms-Burton Act.

This will let Americans who had property seized after Cuba's 1959 revolution file suit against companies that operate out of those properties.

Pompeo said the decision to enforce the 1996 act "in full means a chance at justice for Cuban Americans who have long sought relief for Fidel Castro and his lackeys seizing properties without compensation." Every U.S. president since the act's inception has suspended the provision to avoid a bevy of lawsuits and diplomatic issues, particularly with the EU, since many European countries have business ties in Cuba.

Last week,  the EU threatened to sue the U.S.  at the World Trade Organization if it proceeded with the move.

National security adviser John Bolton revealed even more measures the administration was taking against Cuba during a speech in Miami marking the 58th anniversary of the Bay of Pigs invasion.

"The department of the treasury will implement further regulatory changes to restrict non-family travel to Cuba," Bolton said.

"We are also announcing 5 additions to the Cuba restricted list, which prohibits direct financial transactions with entities tied to Cuba's military, intelligence and security services and personnel.

We will also be announcing new limits on remittances to Cuba ... our new limits will be $1,000 per person per quarter." The move is likely an effort by the U.S. to force Cuba to back off its support of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro.

During his speech, Bolton said, "Havana continues to prop up Maduro and help him sustain the brutal suffering of the Venezuelan people.

As President Trump has said, Maduro is quite simply a 'Cuban puppet.'" Pompeo said the provision will go into effect on May 2.

A  spokesperson for the State Department  said the Justice Department confirmed about $2 billion worth of property has been confiscated in Cuba.

Additional reporting from  Newsy affiliate CNN .




You Might Like


Recent related videos from verified sources

Americans Who Had Property Seized In Cuba Can Now Sue Island's Business Partners [Video]Americans Who Had Property Seized In Cuba Can Now Sue Island's Business Partners

Two American owners of confiscated property in Cuba are among the first to file lawsuits against European and American companies doing business on their former properties.

Credit: CBS4 Miami     Duration: 01:56Published

TurboTax Hid Its Free Tax-Filing Pages From Google Searches [Video]TurboTax Hid Its Free Tax-Filing Pages From Google Searches

Gizmodo reports TurboTax hid its free tax-filing program page from Google searches. The IRS has long had an agreement with several tax-preparation companies that the companies will help the 70 percent..

Credit: Rumble     Duration: 00:47Published

Warren Hits Out At Biden [Video]Warren Hits Out At Biden

Sen. Elizabeth Warren is the first 2020 Democrat to directly attack former Vice President Joe Biden. On Thursday, Biden announced that he's joining the presidential primary. Business Insider reports..

Credit: Wochit     Duration: 00:37Published

The Trump Administration Imposes New Restrictions On Cuba [Video]The Trump Administration Imposes New Restrictions On Cuba

According to a report by Business Insider, on Wednesday, National Security Advisor John Bolton announced new restrictions the Trump administration would impose on travel to Cuba as well as the amount..

Credit: Rumble     Duration: 00:52Published

Trump Administration To Allow Americans To Sue Companies In Cuba [Video]Trump Administration To Allow Americans To Sue Companies In Cuba

Americans who had property confiscated by Cuba after the 1959 revolution will soon be allowed to sue.

Credit: Rumble     Duration: 01:49Published

Trump Admin Lifts Ban On Lawsuits Against Companies That Do Business With Cuba [Video]Trump Admin Lifts Ban On Lawsuits Against Companies That Do Business With Cuba

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced Wednesday that the U.S. will allow lawsuits against foreign firms operating on property in Cuba seized from Americans.

Credit: CBS4 Miami     Duration: 00:47Published

U.S. Lifts Ban On Lawsuits On Foreign Firms In Cuba [Video]U.S. Lifts Ban On Lawsuits On Foreign Firms In Cuba

Reuters reports the Trump administration is lifting a ban that prevented U.S. citizens from filing lawsuits against foreign companies that use properties seized by Cuba’s government. Secretary of..

Credit: Rumble     Duration: 00:42Published

U.S. Changes Legal Policy On Cuba [Video]U.S. Changes Legal Policy On Cuba

According to Reuters, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Wednesday that on May 2 the United States will lift a ban on U.S. lawsuits against foreign firms doing business in Cuba. Pompeo said at a..

Credit: Wochit     Duration: 00:33Published

Environmentally friendly: One News Page is hosted on servers powered solely by renewable energy
© 2019 One News Page Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
About us  |  Contact us  |  Disclaimer  |  Press Room  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Content Accreditation
 RSS  |  News for my Website  |  Free news search widget  |  In the News  |  DMCA / Content Removal  |  Privacy & Data Protection Policy
How are we doing? FeedbackSend us your feedback  |   LIKE us on Facebook   FOLLOW us on Twitter  •  FOLLOW us on Pinterest
One News® is a registered trademark of One News Page Ltd.