YouTube announced on Wednesday that it will remove videos that deny the Holocaust, the shooting at Sandy Hook and other violent events ever took place, in a major reversal in policy as it fights criticism that it provides a platform for hate speech.
YouTube, which is owned by Alphabet’s Google, also said it will prohibit videos made by white supremacists and others that defend discrimination, promote segregation or glorify Nazi ideology.
Reuters Tech Correspondent Paresh Dave.
"YouTube has said for years that people denying certain historical events that are well-documented, like the Holocaust or recent school shootings even, should be allowed a platform.
And they've said those videos are important for the historical record and for researchers to show that there are people with these diverse viewpoints.
But they're really changing course here and saying, 'We're not going to tolerate that anymore.'
Removing them completely is perhaps the biggest step that we've seen yet by any social platform." The move follows a wave of similar steps taken by its FAANG peers.
In March, Facebook announced its own major change to company policy to ban any support of white nationalism on the social network and Instagram.
And last month, it banned right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and other extremists from its platforms, following similar decisions by Twitter, YouTube and
Class="kln">Apple's Podcasts app.
YouTube said the shift in policy will mean thousands of channels will be removed.
The policies are also likely to frustrate those who say hate speech should not be censored.