Brazilian soccer legend Pele dismissed talk he is depressed and reclusive on Thursday, (February 13) and assured fans he is doing well and maintaining a busy schedule.
Earlier this week his son Edinho told a Brazilian TV station that his father was depressed and reluctant to leave his house because he cannot get around properly due to hip problems. Pele has now set the record straight saying, quote, "I am good," and "I continue to accept my physical limitations in the best way possible but I intend to keep the ball rolling." The three-time World Cup winner went on to say "I have good days and bad days.
That is normal for people of my age.
I am not afraid, I am determined, confident in what I do." Pele is widely considered to be one of the greatest footballers in history and is the only player to win three World Cups.
In recent years, he has suffered with hip trouble and has been restricted to making public appearances in a wheelchair or walking with a frame.
However, friends of the former Santos and New York Cosmos player said this January was one of his busiest in years.
"I am not avoiding fulfilling the commitments in my always busy schedule," Pele said in his statement.
Pele will turn 80 in October and this year will be the 50th anniversary since his third World Cup triumph.