UK's Johnson stable after second night in intensive care
Video Credit: Reuters Studio - Duration: 01:18s - Published
UK's Johnson stable after second night in intensive care
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson spent a second night in intensive care and was in a stable condition after receiving oxygen support for COVID-19 complications while his foreign minister directs the country's battle against the outbreak.
(SOUNDBITE) (English) BRITISH FOREIGN MINISTER, DOMINIC RAAB, SAYING: "I'm confident he'll pull through because if there's one thing I know about this prime minister, he's a fighter and he'll be back at the helm leading us through this crisis in short order." Meanwhile, the UK is entering what scientists say is the deadliest phase of the outbreak, and is grappling with the question of when to lift a lockdown - now in its third week.
Government ministers have been debating how long the world's fifth-largest economy could afford to be shut down for.
And the long-term implications of one of the most stringent set of emergency controls in peacetime history.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan said there was no possibility of lifting lockdown measures any time soon, as the peak of the outbreak in Britain was still over a week away.
The Prime Minister has urged people to wear face coverings in confined places when meeting others they do not normally come into contact with. He added that people should start returning to work when they can.
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 00:59Published
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer called on Boris Johnson to apologise for his comments on care homes.Sir Keir said: “On Monday, when asked why care home deaths had been so high the Prime Minister said, and I quote, ‘too many care homes didn’t really follow the procedures in the way that they could have’.“That has caused huge offence to frontline care workers. It has now been 48 hours. Will the Prime Minister apologise to care workers?”Mr Johnson replied: “The last thing I wanted to do is to blame care workers for what has happened or for any of them to think that I was blaming them because they’ve worked hard, incredibly hard, throughout this crisis, looking after some of the most vulnerable people in our country and doing an outstanding job.”“And as he knows, tragically, 257 of them have lost their lives.“And when it comes to taking blame, I take full responsibility for what has happened.”
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 01:32Published
Prime Minister Boris Johnson evaded questions from Labour Leader Sir Keir Starmer over reports that free parking for hospital staff will soon end. Report by Browna. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn
Boris Johnson has said he takes full responsibility for care home failures throughout the coronavirus outbreak. The Prime Minister’s comments come after opposition leader Sir Keir Starmer urged him to apologise for blaming care staff for failures. Report by Browna. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn
The UK's first sanctions for human rights abuse will cover those involved in the deaths of the Russian lawyer Sergei Magnitsky and the Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the systematic killings of the Rohingyas in Burma and the North Korean gulags. Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said the measures being brought in by the Government today will "hold to account the perpetrators of the worst human rights abuses".
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 01:18Published
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab introduces the UK's first sanctions regime that targets people who have committed the gravest human rights abuses. He mentions specifically those involved in the deaths of the Russian lawyer Sergei Magnitsky and the Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the killings of the Rohingyas in Myanmar and the North Korean gulags. Report by Bassaneseg. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn
Indian Diaspora and a group of demonstrators led by displaced Muslims of Iranian origin demonstrated outside the Chinese Embassy in London on Sunday demanding their rights. They were joined by a few activists from Pakistan occupied Kashmir. The demonstrators demanded that China should free Hong-Kong and stop exploiting resources in Gilgit-Baltistan, the part of erstwhile princely state of Jammu and Kashmir. They raised slogans 'Down with China' alleging it an occupier. Dr Amjad Ayub Mirza, a political activist from PoK said, "We are the victim of Chinese aggression as the China Pakistan Economic Corridor passes through Gilgit-Baltistan and over 6,000 Chinese army and engineers are present in PoK with an aim to expand CPEC project". Anti-China protests have erupted in parts of the world since after face-off between Indian and Chinese forces in Galwan on June 15.
The people of London are divided on whether face coverings should be made compulsory in all public spaces. Though they all agree they do make a difference in slowing the spread of the coronavirus. Report by Czubalam. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan and Metropolitan Police commissioner Cressida Dick have laid wreaths at the 7/7 memorial in Hyde Park on the 15th anniversary of the terrorist attack which killed 52 people. Report by Bassaneseg. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn
Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick and London Mayor Sadiq Khan have laid wreaths at the 7/7 memorial in Hyde Park on the 15th anniversary of the terror attack. British Transport Police Chief Constable Paul Crowther, City of London Police Commissioner Ian Dyson and Transport for London Commissioner Mike Brown were also among the group who paid tribute to the victims at 8.50am – the time the first bomb went off.
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 00:50Published
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has joined the Metropolitan Police for a walkabout today, ahead of further easing of lockdown measures this weekend. Mr Khan warned Londoners that the opening of pubs tomorrow was a "new normal" and should not be treated like New Year's Eve or a "return to business as usual". Report by Connerv. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn
London Mayor Sadiq Khan urges Londoners not to treat the reopening of pubs and bars this weekend "like New Year's Eve".Mr Khan said that more police officers would be deployed across London to make sure people were behaving responsibly.
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 00:57Published
Devotees offered prayers to Lord Shiva from outside the Augarnath Temple on second Monday of 'Sawan' month in Uttar Pradesh's Meerut on July 13. The doors of temple are closed for the devotees since the beginning of COVID-19 lockdown. Augarnath Temple has been following the imposition of the lockdown in the backdrop of COVID-19 scare. Usually crowd of worshipers flock the temple, however it wore a deserted look this morning. Devotees flocked to the temple and prayed to Lord Shiva from outside the temple. This year, 'Sawan' month began from on July 06 and it will end on August 03. In view surge in COVID-19 cases, Uttar Pradesh government on July 10 imposed lockdown in the state, which will continue till July 13.
A team of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) carried out rescue operation in flood-affected areas of Barpeta District. The first battalion of NDRF reached the spots and evacuated 487 marooned villagers and transported them to safer places. Teams are also assisting district administration in distribution of face masks, screening inundated areas and maintaining proper social distancing due to COVID-19. Intense rainfalls have led to the Brahmaputra and its tributaries to flow above danger level in different parts of the state.