WCBI NEWS AT SIX - 11/25/2020
- i'm grace boyles in tonight for- jeff haeger.- november and its cooler temps - ushers in high school playoff - football, it also marks the - beginning the high school - winter sports season.
- student athletes across the - coast are back to - competing on the hardwood and - the pitch, which means the lady- admirals soccer team have - officially started their- battle to defend the m-h-s-a-a- class 6-a state championship.
- led by head coach chris pryor - and then sophomore- forward kate smith, gulfport ra- the table in their 20-20- season to claim the state - championship after beating- clinton in the finals, 3 -- nothing.- the lady admirals kicked off- their 20-20 campaign- tuesday with a shutout victory- over oak grove, 4 - nothing.- smith -- who was named the 20-2- player of the year for the- state of mississippi by the - uited coaches association, as - well as earning all-america - honors following her- peformance last season -- picke- up where she left off, with a - hat trick against the warriors.- here's what pryor had to say- about the mentality of his- team going into this season.- - chris pryor, gulfport girls - soccer head - coach: "i really try to take th same mindset that we've taken i- years past, - that nothing has changed.
Don't- get me wrong, it was a really - phenomenal year last- year.
The girls worked hard,- really took care of business.
I- - - - really was a kind of a family - atmosphere type of culture that- i've been trying to push and- make sure i instill in- the program since i've been - there.
But this year is a brand- new year.
We haven't- earned anything.
We've got to - work for everything that we get- - - - and first and foremost is makin- sure we prepare ourselves for - district play."
The 1 and 0 lady admirals take- the field again thursday at hom- against our lady academy at - gulfport high school's track- field at 7 p-m.
- - plenty of soccer happening on - the coast this thursday in- addition to the lady admirals -- our lady academy match.
- yellow jackets host the hawks i- an early game.- harrison central making the tri- to st.
- west harrison at biloxi for a - later game.
- poplarville visiting pass - christian.- oak grove hosting vancleave is- another late- game, while columbia at - resurrection catholic is an - early game at 4 p-m.- boys soccer has several games - happening thursday as - well... - resurrection's boys team will - host columbia in the later matc- up at 6 p-m.- picayune travels to forrest - county agricultural.- pirates host the hornets for a- night match up following the- girls game.
- hancock at st.
Martin will also- be played following the - girls match up.
- lastly, st.
Patrick hosts - harrison central and- gulfport visit st.
Stanislaus,- both at 7 p-m.- - earlier this season, the- southern miss football team - had to postpone two games due t- covid-19.
- today, conference u-s-a annouce- the re-scheduling of- those missed games against utep- and florida atlantic.
- the golden eagles will travel t- el paso to face the - miners on december 5th.
Game- time will be annoucned at a - later date.
- u-s-m will conclude its regular- season the following- thursday on december 10th at- 5:30 p-m... where the golden- eagles will host their seventh- home game of the season-- only- the second time in history the- program has played host 7 - times in a season.- - - - - the saints are their first re-- match of the season this- - - - sunday against n-f-c divisional- opponents tampa bay.- this buccaneers team, however,- is certainly not the same team- new - orleans defeated 34 - 23 in wee- one.- when these two teams first met- in new orleans in september,- quarterback tom brady was - playing his first n-f-l game- with a- team other than the patriots in- 20 seasons.
Since then, brady - has - helped lead tampa to first in - the n-f-c south and has the buc- on a 3-game winning streak.
- - - - tampa has also made a big new - addition to their roster- recently: - wide receiver antonio brown.- after paying his eight game - suspension from the league for- violating the n-f-l's personal- conduct policy, brown has - officially joined the bucs ahea- of sunday's matchup against the- saints.
- here's what brown had to say- after his first full practice - with the team.- - antonio brown, buccaneers wide- receiver: "being sway from the game a year and a half, just to- see, just to be able to be- part of the process.
Yeah, bein- out there with the guys was - surreal, something i- - - - won't take for granted, - something i have a great- appreciation for, a better- perspective - about."
Coming off an overtime win- against the bears, the saints - go into sunday's game in tampa- bay sitting at second in the- n-f-c south - with a record of 5 and 2.
This- is what running back alvin- kamara said about heading into - game that will determine- which team will sit atop the- division.
- - alvin kamara, saints running- back: "just playing tampa, just having the- success that i've had over the- years.
It's a division- opponent.
That's the cliche - thing to say.
We see them twice- a year, but you know it is what- it is.
I look to go into every- game and try to excel and do- what i have to do to put us in- position to win."
- - - bucs host the saints sunday at- 7:20 pm on n-b-c.
- - tonight's w-x-x-v play of the - day seems to sum up the 20-20 - sports- scene.- in the mid american conference'- first week back - after initally cancelling its - season due to covid-19, the - power went out during a game- between ohio and central- michigan in mount pleasant, - michigan.
- the band waved their cell - phones, however, that's - not enough light to play, of- course.
- the referees sent the teams to- the lockerrooms - early for halftime.
- the very first game of the- season for both teams...there - was no way they planned for thi- !
- the lights -did- come back on,- and the teams picked up where - they left off.- score update??- - - - - stay with us, gulf coast.
- - - - you're watching news 25
Related news coverage
WCBI News At Six - Friday, November 20th, 2020