Skip to main content
U.S. Edition
Monday, June 21, 2021

Local landlord weighs in on launch of rent relief program

Credit: KHSL
Duration: 0 shares 1 views
Local landlord weighs in on launch of rent relief program
Local landlord weighs in on launch of rent relief program

California's Covid-19 rent relief program is now online and taking applications.

Action News Now spoke with one local landlord about the new access to help.

Contribution limits.

Also breaking today -- california's covid-19 rent relief program is now online and taking applications.

This is the portal... it provide links for landlords... local cities and counties..

And tenants.

Click on tenants and covid rent relief.... and then select renter or landlord.... and you can find out if you're eligible for financial help in paying owed rent.

New at 5 -- action news now reporter krisitan lopez shows us what this access to help could mean for our community.

Kristian: one local landlord in chico tells me he's been in constant communication with all of his tenants - offering them help so they don't fall behind.

Sergio garcia/landlord: "to make sure they are able to make the rent and if not to see how we can be of assistance."

Sergio garcia has been a landlord in chico for the last five years.

Sergio garcia: "its challenging and you gotta make sure the people living in your apartments can actually manage dealing with the pandemic.

We are painfully aware that not everyone is as fortunate enough to remain with a job and still be employment so we are in constant contact with our tenants to make sure they are able to make their rent and if not see how we can be of assistance."

He says some of his tenants are working fewer hours at their jobs - but he's been able to work with them.

He says help from the state is critical for landlords who are not as fortunate.

Sergio garcia: i think it's a god send, offering to pay 80% of the back-rents, that's super helpful to the landlord that also probably has a mortgage he or she needs to pay so that's helpful.

Luckily we have been very blessed ourselves and our tenants we have not been forced to default as far as the mortgage, the payments every month in that respect we have been very fortunate but we are aware of the difficulties this pandemic poses.

Kristian: garcia says he will continue to work with all of his tenants and offer them whatever help they need.

In chico kristian lopez action news now coverage you can count on.

Here's how it works:landlords can get reimbursed up to 80% of past due rent from last april through the 1st of this march... if they waive the remaining 20%.

Renters with landlords who opt out..

Can still apply and get up to 25% of unpaid rent paid directly to their landlord...thats enough to legally keep them in their homes under the extended eviction protection law.

This tool is up under news links on our website..action news now

Advertisement

Related news coverage

Explore