ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION) U.S. Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan said on Friday that this week's attacks on two oil tankers in the Strait of Hormuz, is 'an international situation' in the Middle East 'not a U.S. situation'.
President Trump has blamed the attacks on Iran Trump blamed Iran on Friday for the attacks at the entrance to the Gulf despite Tehran's denials, raising fears of a confrontation in the vital oil shipping route.
Iran has dismissed earlier U.S. charges that it was behind Thursday's attacks that crippled two tankers.
It has previously suggested it could block the Strait of Hormuz, the main route out for Middle Eastern oil, if its own exports were halted.
The blasts followed similar attacks a month earlier on four tankers, which Washington also blamed on Tehran.
They come at a time of escalating tension between the two countries.
Last month the United States sharply tightened economic sanctions against Iran, which in response has threatened to step up its nuclear activity.
"Iran did do it and you know they did it because you saw the boat," Trump told Fox News.
He was referring to a video released on Thursday by the U.S. military which said it showed Iran's Revolutionary Guards were behind the blasts that struck the Norwegian-owned Front Altair and the Japanese-owned Kokuka Courageous in the Gulf of Oman, at the mouth of the Gulf.
Iran said the video proved nothing and that it was being made into a scapegoat.
"These accusations are alarming," Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said.
Iran has accused the United States and its regional allies such as Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates of "warmongering" by making accusations against it.
Asked how he planned to address Tehran and prevent any further incidents, Trump told Fox News: "We're going to see." He also said any move to close the Strait of Hormuz would not last long.