- the 19th school, on news 25's 2- teams in 25 days... is less tha- 24 -- - - - - or 25 -- hours away... from - hitting somebody else.- on jamboree eve... pass - christian can't get year 1 of - the - blake pennock era started soon- enough... coming off last year'- disappointing one-win season.
- and that's not gonna cut it for- the pirates, in 20-19... who- look- to do what no pass team... has- ever done before.
- - and now... news 25's 25 teams i- 25- days... sponsored by bienville- orthopedics.- nat ---> "ready, set, go!
Got t move!
Got to move, d-line!
"we won five games, went to the playoffs, hosted a playoff game- here.
And then next - season, we thought we were goin- to be going down the same path,- and it just went- downhill from there."
About this same time, last- year... life was good, at pass- - - - christian.
Coming off just thei- second home playoff game, in- school- history... the pirates picked u- right where they left off, in - 20-18...- with a crazy week 1 road- victory, at long beach... in th- oyster bowl.- "things were looking up, and then it just went all downhill.- - - - crashed."
"i think the main problem was we focused on that- one game.
That one- game, we just went for it.
And- then after that, we just lost - our focus for the rest of the - season."
Nine games later... the pirates- were staring dead in- the face, at a 1-9 season...- their worst showing, since- 20-13.- this year... pass christian has- a clean slate, under first-year- head coach blake pennock... who- - - - says the program... is far from- a sinking ship.
- "i've told this to people in th past.
I don't really feel like- we're taking over a 1-9 - program.
And coming from a- mindset of hoping we can do it- to expecting to do it.
And- that's the hardest thing to - change, probably most times it'- - - - the last thing to change becaus- you have to see evidence of - that."
"when he came into the locker room, he from the first day tol- us that we're going to- be a winning team and we all- bought in to his program.
And - we've all seen the- changes."
The biggest change pass - christian is striving to- make... is in the month of- november.
- believe it or not... the pirate- have never even gotten a- taste...- of the second round.- "just getting to the playoffs i a big thing around here.
But in- the pass christian- history, we have never won a- playoff game, so that's our mai- goal."
"it does need to change.
It absolutely needs to change.
Thi- place has the potential - to be successful and we have th- opportunity i think now to- hopefully change- that."
One step at a time, for the - - - - pass... who first needs to pump- the brakes, on that nine-game - losing streak.- after that... this year's - 17-member senior class, of 20-2- -- and- beyond -- has the chance to mak- - - - its own traditions... starting- with the grind... and the chase- nat ---> "grind on three, chase on six.
One, two three, grind!- four, five, six, chase!"
"you just look at the end of th road.
You see a prize, you're - going to chase it.- you're going to grind for it."
"the grind and the chase, it's literally just about we have a- goal.
And we're trying to - chase that goal.
We're trying t- chase a playoff win, alright?
- and those things, you - can't just speak those things - into existence.
You have to put- the work in, and that's - where the grind comes in.
And w- just want to try to make sure - we're reminded- everyday that we we have a goal- that we're trying to chase and- that we're going to put - in the work and we're going to- grind to get us to that goal."
- the pirates open up their 20-19- - - - campaign with long beach, yet - again... on august 23rd.- as for tomorrow... pass - christian travels to- gautier, for its jamboree...- slated