United States  

McGregor makes fast work of Cerrone on UFC return

Video Credit: Reuters - Sports - Duration: 01:15s - Published
McGregor makes fast work of Cerrone on UFC return

McGregor makes fast work of Cerrone on UFC return

Conor McGregor says he's now "etched in history" after winning on his UFC comeback against Donald Cerrone after just 40 seconds in Las Vegas.

SHOWS: LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, USA (JANUARY 19, 2020) (UFC - SEE RESTRICTIONS BEFORE USE) 1.

(SOUNDBITE) (English) UFC 246 WINNER, CONOR MCGREGOR, ON THE WIN, SAYING: "I did come out and I let that left hand go from the chamber.

The force of him dipping and me connecting with him with my hip even was a shot in itself, but I'd probably put that down to 15 months outside of the octagon." 2.

WHITE FLASH 3.

(SOUNDBITE) (English) UFC WINNER, CONOR MCGREGOR, SAYING: "So I'm happy with the way it ended, there was a couple of shoulder smacks, the foot clattered him round the head and shocked him and backhand put him down." 4.

WHITE FLASH 5.

(SOUNDBITE) (English) UFC 246 WINNER, CONOR MCGREGOR, ON DONALD "COWBOY" CERRONE, SAYING: "What a phenomenal legacy Donald has and it's an honour to share the octagon with that man, seriously I mean that." 6.

WHITE FLASH 7.

(SOUNDBITE) (English) UFC 246 WINNER, CONOR MCGREGOR, SAYING: "I could only hope and dream to achieve the records he has.

34 fights, that's my 12th fight....he's what 3 times more fights than me inside......he fought 11 times in the last year and I'd only fought 11 times in UFC period!

So it's just breathtaking where the man's be at and I'm happy that it was clean enough." 8.

WHITE FLASH 9.

(SOUNDBITE) (English) UFC 246 WINNER, CONOR MCGREGOR, ON HIS OWN RECORD OF NOW HAVING WON FIGHTS ACROSS THREE WEIGHT DIVISIONS, SAYING: "That's a phenomenal record if I do say so myself.

I wanted that one." 10.

WHITE FLASH 11.

(SOUNDBITE) (English) UFC 246 WINNER, CONOR MCGREGOR, SAYING: "I etched myself in history again.

I don't think that's a record that can be achieved handily again across three weight divisions." STORY: Former two-division champion Conor McGregor returned to the Octagon with a stunning knockout of Donald Cerrone in under a minute at UFC 246 on Saturday in his first fight since losing a lightweight title bout to Khabib Nurmagomedov 15 months ago.

The 31-year-old Irishman left 'Cowboy' Cerrone bloodied just seconds into the fight by ramming shoulders into his face from the clinch, and when they broke McGregor landed a head kick that wobbled the American and sent him scrambling back to the cage.

McGregor closed in and rained down strikes as Cerrone covered up, prompting referee Herb Dean to stop the fight after just 40 seconds.

McGregor served a six-month suspension and was fined $50,000 for his role in a brawl at the end of his loss to Nurmagomedov.

He was convicted of assault late last year for punching a man who had refused a shot of whiskey from him in a Dublin pub while in a separate case in 2018 he was charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief after police said he attacked a vehicle carrying UFC fighters.

He pleaded guilty to a reduced disorderly conduct charge in that case.

After his long absence, McGregor was glad to be back.

"I feel really good, but I came out of here unscathed.

I'm in shape.

We've got work to do to get back to where I was," McGregor said in his post-fight interview.

The victory was McGregor's first since November 2016 at Madison Square Garden where he beat Eddie Alvarez to win the lightweight title and become the organisation's first simultaneous two-weight champion.

A crowd of over 19,000 packed out the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday and an uninspiring undercard was quickly forgotten as McGregor made his way to the Octagon.

Fans waving Irish Tricolours roared support for their man as the introductions took place and McGregor leaped into action as the fight began.

Cerrone had made his name by going toe-to-toe with some of the heaviest hitters in the UFC, giving fans the fights they want to see, but he was caught cold by McGregor's unorthodox shoulder strikes.

"I had never seen anything like that," Cerrone said.

"It threw me way off guard.

He busted my nose and it started bleeding and then he stepped back and head kicked me." Despite a third straight defeat, Cerrone said he had no plans to retire.

"I'm going to keep fighting man.

I love this sport." McGregor has said he planned to have three UFC fights this year and also revealed he has a lucrative boxing match against Manny Pacquiao in the pipeline.

(Production: Elliot Richardson)




You Might Like


๐Ÿ’ก One News Page Knowledge: Other News Mentions

Conor McGregor Conor McGregor Irish mixed martial arts fighter

Never A Dull Moment: Conor McGregor Detained Once Again For Sexual Assault Allegations [Video]

Never A Dull Moment: Conor McGregor Detained Once Again For Sexual Assault Allegations

Twice-retired UFC superstar Conor McGregor was collared in Corsica on Saturday and accused of attempted sexual assault. According to Newser, the 32-year-old is no stranger to legal run-ins. In 2019 alone, he was sued for assault and battery, charged with assault, and investigated on multiple accusations of sexual assault. McGregor's been cruising the Mediterranean on his yacht with fiancee Dee Devlin, and apparently lost his cool at a bar on Thursday.

Credit: Wochit News    Duration: 00:40Published

Ultimate Fighting Championship Ultimate Fighting Championship Mixed martial arts promoter based in Las Vegas

UFC's Colby Covington and Kamaru Usman Go Nuclear, Trump Calls In

If you think the Presidential election has gotten ugly, check out the intensely angry exchange between 2 UFC fighters ... and Donald Trump makes it clear whose..
TMZ.com

UFC fighter gets call from President Trump after win

Colby Covington, a vocal supporter of President Donald Trump, received a call from the president following his Saturday night win over Tyron Woodley.

USATODAY.com

Dana White Says No Deal with Brock Lesnar, 'Just Don't See Him Coming Back'

Bad news for Brock Lesnar fans ... Dana White says the former UFC champ has NOT taken him up on his offer to put together a fight with Jon Jones. And, Dana says..
TMZ.com

Colby Covington and Ali Abdelaziz Squash Beef Thanks to President Trump

They almost fought in line at a Vegas buffet in 2019 -- but UFC star Colby Covington and fighter manager Ali Abdelaziz have buried the hatchet in 2020 ... with a..
TMZ.com

Las Vegas Las Vegas Largest city in Nevada

Tommy DeVito Of The Four Seasons Dies From Covid-19 Complications [Video]

Tommy DeVito Of The Four Seasons Dies From Covid-19 Complications

Tommy DeVito, a founding member of The Four Seasons has died at the age of 92. DeVito died in Las Vegas on Monday, from COVID-19 complications. The news of the singers passing was announced via Facebook by his log-time friend Alfredo Nittoli. DeVito, along with Joe Long, Frankie Valli, Bob Gaudio, and Nick Massi started the foursome in in 1960. The foursome became known for their harmonies and falsetto. During their time together the band had four No.

Credit: Wochit News    Duration: 00:32Published

MoneyBagg Yo Says Gunman Wasn't Targeting Him at Vegas Birthday Party

MoneyBagg Yo is denying rumors he was the target in a shooting during his birthday celebration in Las Vegas. The Memphis rapper and Yo Gotti protege addressed..
TMZ.com

Four Seasons original member Tommy DeVito dead of coronavirus at 92

Tommy DeVito, whose bad boy image was immortalized in the hit 'Jersey Boys,' passed away in Las Vegas on Monday, Sept. 21.

USATODAY.com

Tommy DeVito, Original Four Seasons Member, Dead at 92 from COVID

Tommy DeVito -- one of the original members of the iconic Doo-Wop group, The Four Seasons -- has died from coronavirus. 'Casino' actor Alfredo Nittoli confirmed..
TMZ.com

Raiders open new Las Vegas stadium with statement win over Saints

The Raiders opened Allegiant Stadium with a game to remember as Derek Carr and Co. notched a signature win against the Saints.

USATODAY.com

Nevada Nevada State in the United States

Court rejects Trump campaign's effort to stop Nevada's mail ballot plan

Judge James Mahan ruled that Republicans had failed to establish standing for their suit, granting the Nevada secretary of state's motion to dismiss the case.
CBS News

Mail-ballots lawsuit filed by Trump, GOP against Nevada dismissed by federal judge

The lawsuit lacks standing, according to U.S. District Judge James C. Mahan in a Sept. 18ย order dismissing the lawsuit.

USATODAY.com

When COVID testing was scarce, CDC director called in favor to help Nevada GOP leader

Director Robert Redfield's interference shows how political influence has penetrated the CDC, creating challenges for local health authorities.

USATODAY.com

Venue owner for Trump's indoor Nevada rally fined $3,000 by city for violating COVID-19 rules

Gatherings of more than 50 people are prohibited in the state. Attendees of Trump's rally were also not required to wear masks.

USATODAY.com

Nevada built a powerful Democratic machine. Will it work in a pandemic?

One example of how things have changed: A Latino outreach group estimated in January that it would register 21,000 new voters in the state by Labor Day. Itโ€™s..
NYTimes.com

Related news from verified sources

Conor McGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC return

LAS VEGAS (AP) โ€” Conor McGregor stopped Donald Cerrone with a head kick and punches 40 seconds into...
Seattle Times - Published Also reported by •FOX Sports


Shannon Sharpe reacts to Conor McGregor knocking out Cowboy Cerrone in under a minute

Shannon Sharpe reacts to Conor McGregor knocking out Cowboy Cerrone in under a minute Shannon Sharpe reacts to Conor McGregor's first UFC win since 2016. McGregor TKOs Cowboy Cerrone in...
FOX Sports - Published


Tweets about this


Related videos from verified sources

McGregor set to return to octogon after making weight for UFC 246 [Video]

McGregor set to return to octogon after making weight for UFC 246

PLEASE NOTE: CONTAINS STRONG PROFANITY IN DONALD CERRONE SOUNDBITE PLEASE NOTE: COMPLETE SCRIPT TO FOLLOW VIDEO SHOWS: CONOR MCGREGOR AND DONALD CERRONE WEIGHING IN, STARING EACH OTHER DOWN, POSING

Credit: Reuters - Sports     Duration: 02:07Published
Conor McGregor Destroyed Donald Cerrone In Just 40 Seconds (VIDEO) [Video]

Conor McGregor Destroyed Donald Cerrone In Just 40 Seconds (VIDEO)

Conor McGregor Destroyed Donald Cerrone In Just 40 Seconds (VIDEO)

Credit: Cerise Media English     Duration: 01:39Published
UFC coach Din Thomas on possible opponents for Conor McGregor's next fight [Video]

UFC coach Din Thomas on possible opponents for Conor McGregor's next fight

Former UFC veteran and current UFC coach Din Thomas discusses possible opponents for Conor McGregor's next fight.

Credit: Rumble     Duration: 01:09Published