United States  

Celebrating 10 Years of Trusted News Discovery
One News Page
> > >

Pompeo: U.S. condemns 'hateful assault' in N.Z.

Video Credit: Reuters Studio - Duration: 00:30s - Published < > Embed
Pompeo: U.S. condemns 'hateful assault' in N.Z.

Pompeo: U.S. condemns 'hateful assault' in N.Z.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Friday that the United States condemns the 'hateful assault' on two New Zealand mosques and is ready to offer any assistance to New Zealand after the shootings that left at least 49 people dead and wounded more than 40 during Friday prayers.

Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

0
shares
ShareTweetSavePostSend
 

Pompeo: U.S. condemns 'hateful assault' in N.Z.

ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION) U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Friday that the United States condemned the 'hateful assault' and would be ready to offer any assistance to New Zealand after two mosque shootings there left at least 49 people dead and wounded more than 40 during Friday prayers.

"The United State condemns this hateful assault.

We pledge our unwavering solidarity with the government and people of New Zealand in this hour of darkness and we stand ready to offer any and all assistance ," Pompeo said during a news conference.

The attacks were New Zealand's worst ever mass shooting, which Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern condemned as terrorism.

A gunman broadcast livestream footage on Facebook of the attack on one mosque in the city of Christchurch, mirroring the carnage played out in video games, after publishing a "manifesto" in which he denounced immigrants, calling them "invaders".

New Zealand was placed on its highest security threat level, Ardern said, adding that "this can now only be described as a terrorist attack".

Police said three people were in custody including one man in his late 20s who had been charged with murder.

He will appear in court on Saturday.

Police Commissioner Mike Bush said 49 people had been killed in total.

Health authorities said 48 people were being treated for gunshot wounds, including young children.

U.S. President Donald Trump condemned the "horrible massacre" in what the White House called a "vicious act of hate".

"The U.S. stands by New Zealand for anything we can do," Trump wrote in a post on Twitter.

The gunman's manifesto praised Trump as "a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose".

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.




You Might Like


Recent related videos from verified sources

Pompeo: U.S. condemns 'hateful assault' in N.Z. [Video]Pompeo: U.S. condemns 'hateful assault' in N.Z.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Friday that the United States condemns the &apos;hateful assault&apos; on two New Zealand mosques and is ready to offer any assistance to New Zealand..

Credit: Rumble     Duration: 00:31Published

Environmentally friendly: One News Page is hosted on servers powered solely by renewable energy
© 2019 One News Page Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
About us  |  Contact us  |  Disclaimer  |  Press Room  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Content Accreditation
 RSS  |  News for my Website  |  Free news search widget  |  In the News  |  DMCA / Content Removal  |  Privacy & Data Protection Policy
How are we doing? FeedbackSend us your feedback  |   LIKE us on Facebook   FOLLOW us on Twitter  •  FOLLOW us on Pinterest
One News® is a registered trademark of One News Page Ltd.