Skip to main content
U.S. Edition
Thursday, April 15, 2021

Trump 'not backing off' Huawei as security threat: Kudlow

Duration: 00:45s 0 shares 1 views
Trump 'not backing off' Huawei as security threat: Kudlow
Trump 'not backing off' Huawei as security threat: Kudlow

National Economic Council chairman Larry Kudlow says President Trump's decision to allow new sales to China's Huawei does not mean he's 'backing off' the telecommunications giant as a national security threat.

Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

President Donald Trump's decision to allow expanded sales of U.S. technology supplies to Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei will only apply to products widely available around the world, and leave the most sensitive equipment off limits, a top White House aide said on Sunday.

Speaking on CBS' Face the Nation, National Economic Council chairman Larry Kudlow said, "the president is not backing off on the national security concerns, we understand the huge risks concerning Huawei." The partial lifting of restrictions on Huawei was a key element of the agreement reached over the weekend between President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping to reopen stalled trade negotiations between the two countries.

It has drawn bipartisan criticism from U.S. Senators concerned that Huawei has close ties to Chinese intelligence agencies that could exploit the global distribution of its technology.

Huawei, the world's biggest telecommunications equipment maker and No.2 smartphone maker, denies its products pose a security threat and has sought to fight back in U.S. courts since Washington put it on an export blacklist last month.

Kudlow said that designation would remain.

Kudlow said the broader concerns about Huawei will be part of the renewed discussions.

Advertisement

Related news coverage

You might like