U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper told CBS News that Turkey decided to send ground troops into northern Syria despite Washington urging Ankara to reconsider, and that the fighting put U.S. forces in an untenable situation.
U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Sunday (October 13) told CBS News that the Pentagon was withdrawing American forces from northern Syria as Turkish forces attacked the area against Washington's wishes.
"Despite our opposition, they decided to make this incursion into Syria, and at this point in time, in the last 24 hours, we learned they likely intend to expand their attack further south that originally planned, into the west," Esper told CBS anchor Margaret Brennan on the network's Face the Nation morning program.
Esper also said they learned that Syrian Kurdish forces were looking to cut a deal to gain support from the Syrian government and Russia, in hopes of counter-attacking.
"We find ourselves, we have American forces likely caught between two opposing, advancing armies, and it's a very untenable situation," Esper said.
The defense chief said that President Donald Trump directed him to begin "a deliberate withdrawal of forces from northern Syria."
[NFA] A day after President Donald Trump accused the U.S. military brass of wanting to fight wars to keep weapons makers happy, the Army's top general said on Tuesday leaders of the armed forces would recommend sending troops into combat only when it is in American national security interests or as a last resort. This report produced by Chris Dignam.
US Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Wednesday contradicted President Donald Trump's earlier claim as to the cause of the explosion in Beirut, Lebanon. CNN reports Esper said 'most believe' that the explosion 'was an accident, as reported.' On Tuesday evening, Trump called it 'a terrible attack.' It's known that about 2,750 metric tons of ammonium nitrate had been stored at a port warehouse for the past six years.
Turkish authorities have ordered the arrest of 82 people including members of a pro-Kurdish opposition party. The warrants are in relation to violent protests from 2014 against the siege by Islamic State of the Syrian Kurdish town of Kobani. Adam Reed reports
US President Donald Trump paid just $750 in federal income taxes the year he ran for president and in his first year in the White House, according to a report Sunday in The New York Times.View on euronews
Credit: euronews (in English) Duration: 01:28Published